Saturday 15 September 2018

WHY EMPLOYMENT ISN'T ENOUGH...


As a 23 year old environmental graduate at a time where unemployment rates are high, I secured a job.  You may be asking, what more would I want? You may wonder why I would decide to start Udacity's Digital Marketing Nanodegree (DMND) program - A degree that is outside of my line of work. A summary answer? So I could never stop learning and follow my dreams. But to fully answer this question, let's go to day 1 of employment.



Day 1.  I was an enthusiastic, thriving, and passionate young adult excited to enter the working world at a time where finding employment was extremely difficult. At a time where graduates that have worked their whole lives to be that perfect candidate for a job, couldn’t secure one, but I did.

Day 23. Every day I sat on my desk for eight hours, with my morning coffee and timed lunch breaks. I was eager to work on different projects so that I can professionally grow, and prove myself in the company as a valuable employee. Although I was successful in this process, I didn’t realise how this routine would cause me to neglect my other skills, interests and dreams of being creative, musically involved, and owning my own business. 


Day 352 of Employment.


Day 352. I loved my job but work began feeling like a routine. I found that my creative fire was being dimmed down and left aside.   Because of this, I thought to myself "maybe I should get more involved in Music" which I did soon after. I began singing every Tuesday night at a local restaurant which I enjoyed fully, and found myself getting lost in my own voice.  I was feeling positive that I finally was satisfying one of my creative passions, but I still felt like something was missing. I wasn’t gaining creative skills from a trusted educational resource that I felt I could combine with my current line of work, or that would be useful to achieve my end goal of opening a business. Although I enjoyed the music, I was confused. How could I use this to benefit my current daily work life and future environmental career? 



24/09/2017 - My first live performance


Day 373. The day I decided to select a platform which combines and mutually benefits both my creative side, and the science geek within me.  I chose to sign up to the DMND program under the National Youth Program. I was extremely excited to have gained an opportunity that checked all the boxes whilst being involved with the youth. Unlike my love for music, it was an educational platform that motivated me to combine my professional side and creative side into a useful, diverse, and exciting three month experience.

Current Day. Ever since I chose this degree, my outlook on my work routine changed. I felt like I was working on a degree that would make my daily routine more exciting. Like I was working my way up to my dreams rather than neglecting them.  This was a true example of my belief to "Never Stop Learning". For more info on the DMND program please sign up to the  E-book http://dmnd.udacity.com/ebook




No comments:

Post a Comment